The sweltering temperatures of summer can take a bigger toll on your used car than you may realize. From making sure your AC works to keeping your engine cool, summer car care should be a top priority right now. Keep your used vehicle in top shape this summer with the following used car care tips:
- Make sure your battery is prepared for high temperatures. It’s a little known fact but summer heat can have more of a negative impact on your car battery than freezing temperatures can. Heat and vibration are a battery’s worst enemies. You’ll want to get your battery tested, as well as check to make sure the battery cables are secure and that the battery is securely fastened to its tray.
- Keep your tires properly inflated. Driving on under-inflated tires can cause tires to overheat and increase the likelihood of a blowout, especially when road temperatures are extremely hot. Using your used car owner’s manual, check your car’s tire pressures (including the spare) at least once a month.
- Make sure fluids are at appropriate levels. Rising outdoor temperatures further heat your car’s engine, so it makes sense that overheating is the number one cause of summer car trouble. In the summertime, keeping an eye on coolant levels is incredibly important. Also, be sure to periodically check other vehicle fluids, including your motor oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid and brake fluid.
- Replace your windshield wipers. Summer thunderstorms are known for their heavy rainfall so be sure to replace your wipers before summer hits!
- Double-check your AC. To ensure your used car’s air conditioning system is ready for summer, test it out. If you notice the air doesn’t feel cool enough, it could be something as simple as needing more refrigerant. Most auto stores carry refrigerant and this can be an easy DIY fix. Another way to prevent your AC from working harder than it has to is to replace your air filters regularly!
Are you in the market for a reliable used vehicle? As a premier buy here, pay here dealership in Hampton Roads, The Auto Connection helps people in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Richmond, Eastern Shore, Smithfield, Chesapeake and Newport News, VA get the financing they need to drive away in a quality used car, truck, SUV or van. Find out how easy it is to get a quality pre-owned vehicle of your own with buy here, pay here financing from The Auto Connection.
Get the approval process started from home with our easy online application.