For many parents, there is nothing more nerve-wracking than your new teenage driver behind the wheel of your quality used vehicle. It can be equally scary having them as a passenger with their friends behind the wheel, too. While we can’t take away all of the nerves, we can help you lower the risk that teen drivers and passengers face with a few quick tips.
1. Limit the number of passengers in your teen’s car. The number of passengers in your teen’s car is directly related to the risk of having a crash. Each state has a licensing law that limits the number of passengers allowed in an inexperienced driver’s car, but you can also set your own limit for your children. Too many passengers can increase noise, distractions, and overall risk.
2. Talk to your teen about how to be a safe passenger. What does it mean to be a safe passenger in a quality used vehicle? Safe, helpful passengers may help the driver navigate, check out blind spots, and are mindful to not talk too loudly, play loud music, or act disruptively.
3. Make seatbelts a must. Statistics show that most teen passengers who get severely injured in accidents aren’t wearing seat belts. Educate your children on the importance of seatbelts and explain that by buckling up, they’ll help protect their friends’ lives, as well as their own.
4. Talk to them. By keeping a line of communication open, you can help keep them safe. Ask how they’re feeling about driving and know where they are going and who they’re going with. If the weather is bad, offer to drive instead.
5. Be mindful of nighttime driving. Because nighttime driving takes some extra experience and skill, give your teens plenty of practice with you before you let them drive alone at night or ride at night with a friend in your quality used vehicle.
6. Lead by example. Your kids will learn how to be good passengers and drivers by watching you. To help them learn good behaviors, you need to exhibit good behaviors too. Make sure you always wear a seat belt, don’t talk on your phone or text while driving, don’t speed, and be sure to follow the rules of the road.
Are you in the market for a reliable used vehicle? As a premier buy here, pay here dealership in Hampton Roads, The Auto Connection helps people in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Richmond, Eastern Shore, Smithfield, Chesapeake and Newport News, VA get the financing they need to drive away in a quality used car, truck, SUV or van. Find out how easy it is to get a quality pre-owned vehicle of your own with buy here, pay here financing from The Auto Connection.
Get the approval process started from home with our easy online application.